Currently there is an interesting combination of generations that we are sharing as a society and especially the experiences we have accumulated in different stages of humanity. Such as the “Baby Boomers” (1946-1964); the “Generation X” (1965-1979); the “Millennials” (1980-2000); also without forgetting the “Generation Z” (2001-2010) and now a new generation that will be called the “Generation Alpha” (2011- ) is starting.
These generations have lived great moments in our history, some of them may be:
Baby Boomers: They lived the consequences of the 2nd World War.
Generation X: Adapting to the changes from the analog to the technological era.
Millennials: The technological family in the digital world.
Generation Z: Digital self-taught and with demanding information requirements.
Generation Alpha: Projected to be 100% Digital and with Work/Life balance. (BBC News, 2019).
So you may find yourself in any of these generations and can think of commonalities we may share with other generations, such as:
- Being part of some social group.
- Achieving personal goals.
- Personal ambitions.
- Interest in technology.
- Learning among others.
This last point of learning is what we want to address in this article where E-learning is gaining more strength every day in our learning processes. This term when translated into Spanish tells us that it is the electronic learning and that possibly we have used or heard it with the terms of:
- Distance learning;
- Online course;
- Virtual training;
- Online studies among others.
I can tell you that I am part of generation X, who lived the transformation from playing with marbles to interactive online video games from a mobile device and from that way has also changed our way of learning.
I remember the times I used to go to a classroom to learn about a particular subject and nowadays I just start my lesson by entering my username and password from any device from the comfort of my home, at a time that suits me. With the opportunity to repeat those lessons that I feel I need to review whenever I want to.
What is the challenge of E-Learning today?
I consider from my experience that I have accumulated since 2006 to date where I have done a variety of development processes and have participated in different roles such as trainer or learner. So I can share 03 Keys that you can consider when designing, teaching or learning with this E-Learning modality, which are “System / Content / Methodology”. There are other important aspects to consider.
- System: Identify the ideal system that is friendly to ensure an excellent experience to all its members such as program administrators, trainers who accompany the teaching processes and especially the end user, who have the benefits of interacting with a system that is friendly, easy to understand or ensures that it is intuitive and with the least possible clicks.
- Content: At the moment that the agenda of the process to be taught is formed, the different channels of perception that we have in our learning process should be considered, such as visual, auditory, kinesthetic that contributes to the fulfillment of the value proposition that the training pursues.
- Methodology: Taking into consideration the appropriate way to communicate with the diversity of people who will have access to the program is fundamental, from the moment that the content is addressed to the diversity of behavioral styles where it communicates to people who are constantly looking for new challenges, such as those who are concerned about achieving team goals or those who are concerned about the common good and of course not forgetting those who adhere to the rules or processes. They are part of this diversity of audience and each one with its own characteristics that some word will allow a greater approach or a possible rejection of the subject being addressed.
03 keys for organizations when developing an E-Learning:
To have the right human talent in the elaboration of the material, that is to say to have the ideal and certified personnel at the moment of writing the content, elaborating the videos, editing them among other tasks that occurs in the construction of the material. To guarantee a better connection with the participants because they will be clear about the purpose of the training, the impact or benefit it will generate at the moment of completing the e-learning and connecting with a diverse audience.
Consider the necessary aspects in the interaction that must be registered in the training process where the participant feels interest and motivation in being part of the training process, and feels the pleasant emotion in interacting through the different tools that the educational material has.
Technology at the service of the parties. For end users it is important to have a platform that is user-friendly and that integrates with the applications they use on a daily basis, such as messaging and e-mail, among others. In particular, that can be viewed from a computer or on any mobile device without losing the quality of the pages and their navigation.
03 keys for students when doing E-Learning:
Concentration: Surely you already knew this. To be more effective you can consider before starting your study day take the time to prepare your study place, removing all elements that can be a distraction effect such as the phone (put it on mute); a tidy place and with the study tools you require at your fingertips.
Study schedule: Establish the day, the study time, especially the time you will have dedicated to it, it is advisable to have spaces of 20 to 45 minutes of study and if necessary to extend the time it will be prudent to establish a break of 15 minutes in each block of study to facilitate learning, where you can reflect on the subject, have a tea, coffee, watch water or just stretch. Remember that our mind gets distracted after a certain amount of time. There are those who point out that at 110 minutes we lose the attention of something and especially at 20 minutes we begin to reduce the full attention on it. Therefore, adjust your study blocks whether it is at 20 minutes or 45 minutes.
Record the learnings: In each lesson write down the learnings in your workbook and the benefits it will offer you in your work, personal, social environment and how it aligns with your values. This space will allow us to increase the opportunities in each educational process to expand and build our best version.
The advantages of E-Learning
- Dynamism: It is a great opportunity that allows greater immediacy, which contributes to innovation with a greater opportunity to reach people.
Convenience or flexibility: Each of the members will be able to adjust availability according to the agenda they can carry without neglecting relevant tasks in view of the fact that the factor of coincidence of scheduled hours is eliminated.
- Cost: Significantly reduces expected costs such as installation, transportation, lodging, food, among other topics. In addition, the investment will be made in a single opportunity for the design of the content and will be available for the future until it requires an update of the content. Ideal to be used in welcome processes (On Boarding), processes for ISO certifications in the training of such standards, for example.
- Data: The system can generate metrics that allow to know values required to know the progress, participation, level of knowledge acquired or any other necessary data in an automated way to the extent that the system allows it in order to measure and improve.
- Broadening of knowledge: It facilitates to have a greater number of views or perspectives because it allows to reach a wider audience with different cultural and knowledge influences to provide a higher integral level of knowledge.
Critical Thinking: We all know that nowadays we no longer learn from the tutor or teacher. Rather, now “You learn with him”. This is a positive advance in the evolution of teaching.
What about now?
If you are part of an organization that is concerned about developing the most important asset of the company and is your human talent is a tool that you must have present and that is properly designed to generate the “desire to do it”. Now if you are a person concerned about your personal and/or professional development you should organize yourself and take note of the learning you collect with critical thinking and see how it contributes to your life, as well as to the loved ones around you, the impact it has on your environment and how it aligns with your values.
I invite you to think about the courses you have taken online, which one did you like the most?